Why you should eat garlic raw:
When the garlic is cooked this prohibits the garlic’s ability to make allicin. Allicin is one of the primary components of garlic that gives it its health benefits, including the ability to prevent cancer. Allicin is produced in garlic when the garlic enzyme alliinase is cut or chewed. However, when the garlic is cooked alliinase is then inactivated which causes allicin to not be produced.
Before consuming the garlic it is best to allow the cut or crushed garlic to be exposed to the air for at least 5 to 10 minutes in order for the compounds to become fully activated.
How do you incorporate garlic into your daily diet?
There’s two options:
- Add the garlic to your meal or add it to a green juice or smoothie.
- Cut a clove of garlic into small pieces and swallow the small pieces one at a time. (with a meal)
10 Reasons Why you should eat garlic daily:
1. Garlic Contains a High Amount of Antioxidants – The antioxidants destroy free radicals and reduce overall oxidative stress. Free radicals can damage DNA and cell membranes. High levels of oxidative stress have been associated with many diseases and conditions. Antioxidants are also beneficial for preventing types of cancer.
2. Garlic Lowers Your Cholesterol– A study found that the consumption of garlic reduced cholesterol by 9 to 12 percent. Reductions were noted in LDL cholesterol, and triglycerides.
3. Garlic is Antibacterial– Garlic acts as a natural antibiotic. It is able to eliminate harmful bacteria but does not kill off healthy bacteria as chemical antibiotics do.
4. Garlic is Anti-fungal– Garlic’s Allicin is also responsible for destroying fungi. Many use garlic as a means of eliminating fungal infections.
5. Garlic Thins the Blood– Garlic consumption has been shown to thin the blood which can aid in preventing heart disease, the formation of blood clots, heart attacks and stroke.
6. Garlic Boosts Your Immune System– Garlic has strong antiviral properties. To many in Russia, garlic was known as “Russian Penicillin” due to its abilities to effectively treat infections. A study found that garlic is effective at preventing and treating the common cold. It found that those who consumed garlic had significantly fewer colds and the length of their cold was shortened compared to those who did not eat garlic.
7. Garlic Lowers Risk of Atherosclerosis: Studies suggest that garlic may prevent blood clots and destroy plaque which contribute to the development of atherosclerosis.
8. Garlic Lowers Your Blood Pressure- Garlic has been used in China for many years as blood pressure medication. Additionally, the Japanese government officially recognized garlic as a blood-pressure depressor.
9. Garlic Helps Your Joints– A study found that those who eat high amounts of garlic were less likely to have osteoarthritis.
10.Garlic Prevents Cancer- Increased intake of garlic has been found to be associated with the reduced risk of certain cancers. This includes cancers of the stomach, colon, esophagus, pancreas, and breast.
Certified Personal Trainer by I.S.S.A., CPR
Source: Health Extremist By Lori