There is nothing like meditation for calming the mind and nurturing the human spirit. Consistent practice increases our powers of awareness, improves our intellectual capacity, and strengthens our emotional intangibles (feelings of compassion, gratitude, self-worth, and more). However, we sometimes overlook the fact that meditation also has huge physical health benefits! If you are just starting out, or if even if you are a longtime practitioner, check out these 6 health-boosting qualities associated with the art of meditation, and let us know what you think:
1. Better Cardiovascular System Meditation essentially consists of extended sitting and controlled breathing. These functions work to decrease blood pressure and cholesterol, leading to less physical tension, overall better health and greater energy for other activities!
2. Better Immune System Findings have indicated that regular meditation practice can help people not only fight colds and illness, but can also help slow or control the pain of serious diseases and illnesses.
3. Lower Stress and Anxiety Meditation is an excellent way of conquering the physical symptoms of stress and anxiety, such as shortness of breath, tingling limbs, muscle tension and more. Regular meditation practice also helps to improve our overall mental well being.
4. Better Athletic Performance Any seasoned athlete will attest that 90% of the game is mental. Not only does meditation improve our powers of concentration, but it can also impact our flexibility and balance.
5. Better Sleep A University of Utah study indicated that individuals who practiced mindfulness and meditation during the day were more likely to fall asleep quicker at night that those who had not.
6. Pain Management Whether recovering from a minor injury or dealing with a chronic health issue, meditation allows the body to work against pain and discomfort, as well as helping to prepare the mind for recovery as well.
There you have it- meditation is just as good for the body as it is for the mind!
Certified Personal Trainer by I.S.S.A., CPR
Source: Buddha Groove
Categories: NOW, you know